Monday 1 October 2012

What is a Scientist?

Every September I begin the year with learning and understanding the processes of Science.   Usually we do several scientific experiments each tailored to the specific steps in the scientific method.   The students fill out scientific experiment forms where they list the materials and procedures.   Some of the activities I usually do are:  

Predicting (Hypothesis): There are many activities which can be done, but the students love the mentos and 2L pop one.
Observation: We spend time watching and observing a burning candle and record our observations.   We go over the various ways we can record our observations such as lists, webs, labelled diagrams, etc.
Conclusion: We mix together several different liquids to discover density.   The students then write why the liquids form layers and explain their understanding.

This year, inspired by a colleague, I decided instead to focus on what it means to be a scientist and do this through an inquiry process ~ I am so glad I did.  Here is a link to a similar post by my colleague.


What Scientist's Do
During the second week of school the students engaged in their first scientific activity.   They were to see how many drops of water they could place on a penny.


This student is recording his data.


At the end of the activity I asked how they felt as scientists and what they learned from being scientists.   We began a class chart titled "What Scientist's Do".   We added the following words:
  • test
  • predict
  • use tools 
  • collect information (data)
  • record information
I could tell from the student's responses to how they felt as scientists that their attitudes towards science are very positive and full of enthusiasm for scientific investigations.

This past Friday we did another activity.   I brought in cookies that I had baked earlier in the morning and asked the students to use the tools (toothpick, chopstick, and Q-tips) provided to discover what it was that I had given them and determine what they were made of.









Although I had let the students know that there was no
scientific experiment form to be filled out, I was very impressed
when on their own, without prompting many students took out
their drawing books and began sketching labelled diagrams... just
like true scientists would!






Some students wrote lists to help them remember.

The students were great about using their five senses to
gather information about the cookies.





The students were able to use their background knowledge and experience to tell me that they knew I had given
them cookies.   When it came to listing what we discovered was in the cookies, they used all fives senses: sight
(Observation), smell, touch, taste, and sound.             

I read aloud My Five Senses and plan to share the other two books upon completion of our Inquiry Tasks.
When the activity was over, we gathered together as a group to share and document our learning.   The students added the following to our list of "What Scientist's Do":
  • use their background knowledge and experience
  • use their fives senses when possible
  • share ideas with other scientists
  • make labelled diagrams
  • discover

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cookies were great to observe

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so much fun to experiment the cookies. I am really looking forward for other fun experiments and the cookie was yummy.


    By :QL.

    ReplyDelete